Geological Institute Coffee Hour
- Wednesday, September 30, at 10 am on the D-floor
Spring Seminar Series Schedule overview for 2017
Detailed Guest Lecture information for 2017 can be found here (PDF, 123 KB).
Past Guest Lecture information can be found below.
Seminar Spring Semester 2016:
- Prof. Andrea Moscariello (University of Geneva): Geothermal exploration activity in the Greater Geneva Basin: Challenges and opportunities
- Dr. Victor Bense (University of East Anglia): Fault zone hydrogeology: towards a coherent framework of geological fault zone analysis for fluid flow properties
- Dr. Claudio Margottini (Department of Geological Survey, Rome, Italy): Engineering geology in shaping and preserving the historic urban landscapes and cultural heritage: some achievements in UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Dr. Topias Siren (Aalto University): Geomechanical behavior of a migmatic gneiss to host a nuclear waste repository in Finland
- Dr. Didier Hantz (Polytech Grenoble): Influence of geological and meteorological factors on rockfall frequency
- Prof. Jean-Michel Lemieux (Université Laval): Groundwater occurence in cold environments: Examples from Nunavik, Canada
- Dr. John-Paul Latham (Imperial College): Are scientists getting to grips with modelling fractures and grains in rockysystem processes? One decade of progress in FEMDEM modelling of rock
- Prof. Michael Krautblatter (Technical University of Munich): Towards a mechanical failure model for degrading permafrost rock slopes
Seminar Spring Semester 2015:
- Alexander Puzrin (ETH Zürich): Evolution of submarine landslides: Unifying shear band propagation approach
- Tanguy Le Borgne (Universite de Rennes): Experimental characterization of flow distribution and transport processes in fractured media.
- Stefan Kollet (Bonn University): Terrestrial energy coupling from the bedrock into the atmosphere
- Tobias Vogt (NAGRA, Switzerland): Monitoring THM effects in the Full-Scale Emplacement (FE) experiment at the Mont Terri URL
- Mark Jensen (Nuclear Waste Management Company, Canada): Canada's plan for the long-term management of used nuclear fuel.
- Federico Agliardi (GeoMib, Italy): Controls, long-term evolution and impact of slow rock slope deformations in the Alps
- Dan Faulkner (University of Liverpool): The nature and properties of fracture damage around faults
Seminar Spring Semester 2014:
- Prof. Heinz Konietzky: Time dependent crack growth in hard brittle rock
- Prof. Doug Schmitt: The effects of CO2 on seismic wave speeds.
- Dr. Florian Amann: Fracture initiation and propagation in clay rocks
- Prof. Sebastian Bauer: Impacts of the use of geological underground for thermal, electrical or material storage
- Dr. Matt Pierce: Use of discrete fracture networks in the estimation of rock mass properties
- Herr Helmut Wannenmacher: Geomechanical considerations for pressure tunnel design and construction.
- Dr. Erich Pimentel: Modelling artificial ground freezing under consideration of seepage flow
- Prof. Derek Elsworth: THMC modelling of permeability and seismicity.
Seminar Spring Semester 2010:
- Prof. Roberto Romeo: Earthquake-induced landslide scenarios: past and future trends.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: Analysis Methods of Landslide Motion.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: Runout Exercise.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: 3D Slope Stability.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: Typological Landslide Classification.
Seminar Spring Semester 2008:
- Prof. Jean Hutchinson: Acceptability Considerations for Landslide Risk Management.
- Prof. Mark Diederichs: Spall Prediction - State of Practice, Where do we go from here?
- Prof. Nicholas Sitar: Characteristics of Seismically Induced Landslides and Topographic Amplification.
- Prof. Joseph Wartman: Hurricane Katrina: The Intersection of a Metropolis, Infrastructure and a Natural Hazard.
- Prof. Ewald Brückl: Slope instabilities due to deep-seated gravitational creep process analysis and prediction.
Calendar of Events
3 May 2017, Seminar
GFD Seminar - The Tectonics and Seismicity of Continent Interiors: an Open Challenge
3 May 2017, City guide
Geologische Stadtführung - Bausteine in Zürich, Trends durch die Jahrhunderte
4 May 2017, Seminar
GeoPetro seminar - Dogma vs discovery in resource geology: Examples from porphyry Cu-Au systems