Geological Institute Coffee Hour
- Wednesday, September 30, at 10 am on the D-floor
Spring Seminar Series Schedule overview for 2017
Detailed Guest Lecture information for 2017 can be found here.
Past Guest Lecture information can be found below.
Seminar Spring Semester 2016:
- Prof. Andrea Moscariello (University of Geneva): Geothermal exploration activity in the Greater Geneva Basin: Challenges and opportunities
- Dr. Victor Bense (University of East Anglia): Fault zone hydrogeology: towards a coherent framework of geological fault zone analysis for fluid flow properties
- Dr. Claudio Margottini (Department of Geological Survey, Rome, Italy): Engineering geology in shaping and preserving the historic urban landscapes and cultural heritage: some achievements in UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Dr. Topias Siren (Aalto University): Geomechanical behavior of a migmatic gneiss to host a nuclear waste repository in Finland
- Dr. Didier Hantz (Polytech Grenoble): Influence of geological and meteorological factors on rockfall frequency
- Prof. Jean-Michel Lemieux (Université Laval): Groundwater occurence in cold environments: Examples from Nunavik, Canada
- Dr. John-Paul Latham (Imperial College): Are scientists getting to grips with modelling fractures and grains in rockysystem processes? One decade of progress in FEMDEM modelling of rock
- Prof. Michael Krautblatter (Technical University of Munich): Towards a mechanical failure model for degrading permafrost rock slopes
Seminar Spring Semester 2015:
- Alexander Puzrin (ETH Zürich): Evolution of submarine landslides: Unifying shear band propagation approach
- Tanguy Le Borgne (Universite de Rennes): Experimental characterization of flow distribution and transport processes in fractured media.
- Stefan Kollet (Bonn University): Terrestrial energy coupling from the bedrock into the atmosphere
- Tobias Vogt (NAGRA, Switzerland): Monitoring THM effects in the Full-Scale Emplacement (FE) experiment at the Mont Terri URL
- Mark Jensen (Nuclear Waste Management Company, Canada): Canada's plan for the long-term management of used nuclear fuel.
- Federico Agliardi (GeoMib, Italy): Controls, long-term evolution and impact of slow rock slope deformations in the Alps
- Dan Faulkner (University of Liverpool): The nature and properties of fracture damage around faults
Seminar Spring Semester 2014:
- Prof. Heinz Konietzky: Time dependent crack growth in hard brittle rock
- Prof. Doug Schmitt: The effects of CO2 on seismic wave speeds.
- Dr. Florian Amann: Fracture initiation and propagation in clay rocks
- Prof. Sebastian Bauer: Impacts of the use of geological underground for thermal, electrical or material storage
- Dr. Matt Pierce: Use of discrete fracture networks in the estimation of rock mass properties
- Herr Helmut Wannenmacher: Geomechanical considerations for pressure tunnel design and construction.
- Dr. Erich Pimentel: Modelling artificial ground freezing under consideration of seepage flow
- Prof. Derek Elsworth: THMC modelling of permeability and seismicity.
Seminar Spring Semester 2010:
- Prof. Roberto Romeo: Earthquake-induced landslide scenarios: past and future trends.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: Analysis Methods of Landslide Motion.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: Runout Exercise.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: 3D Slope Stability.
- Prof. Oldrich Hungr: Typological Landslide Classification.
Seminar Spring Semester 2008:
- Prof. Jean Hutchinson: Acceptability Considerations for Landslide Risk Management.
- Prof. Mark Diederichs: Spall Prediction - State of Practice, Where do we go from here?
- Prof. Nicholas Sitar: Characteristics of Seismically Induced Landslides and Topographic Amplification.
- Prof. Joseph Wartman: Hurricane Katrina: The Intersection of a Metropolis, Infrastructure and a Natural Hazard.
- Prof. Ewald Brückl: Slope instabilities due to deep-seated gravitational creep process analysis and prediction.
Calendar of Events
27 February 2017, Seminar
GFD / SEG Seminar - Dynamics of Megathrust-Learning from Himalayan earthquakes
1 March 2017, Seminar
GFD Seminar - 2D Numerical Modeling of Pebble Accretion: Influence on Planetesimal Evolution
1 March 2017, Seminar
GFD Seminar - Impact splash chondrule formation and its connection to terrestrial planet formation
1 March 2017, Seminar
Structural Geology and Tectonics Seminar - Pamiri Perspective: Building the Pamir-Tibet Plateau - Crustal Stacking, Gravitational Collapse and Lateral Extrusion forced by deep-seated lithospheric processes